roses

roses

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Well, we had an adventure yesterday.

I took my little boy out for a walk yesterday. The weather was gloriously warm when we started out. Just shy of 65 degrees and sunny, the only potential problem was the wind. I found that proved very quickly not to be a problem at all. The baby absolutely loved the wind.

As the breeze blew hard on us, he kicked his feet happily, waved his arms, and stuck out his tongue as far as he could. Great smiles, laughter, and happy noises accompanied this display of delight. I'm forced to admit, I'm not sure what he loved the most. He was thrilled with the wind but he also just was delighted with the wind blowing the clouds across the sky, watching the trees sway in the breeze, and seeing how it made my shawl flap around me as I kept fixing the blanket that he kept kicking.

Now, the thing that did prove a bit problematic was the booties. He kicked them off a few times. I thought I had managed to get him covered up in such a manner that they weren't going to go flying again. Somehow, when we had managed to get to the little restaraunt we stop at for a drink and a rest on our walk (where I discovered that the boy likes a little bit of iced tea if there's no sugar in it), he had managed to lose the booties and his socks. I still feel a bit upset about this. The socks really aren't the cause of my dismay. It's the booties.

You see, his great-grandmother (my paternal grandmother) had made him a matching set of booties and a little bonnet. She knitted them with red, white, and blue yarn. They really were just the cutest thing and barely fit him at Yule, when she gave them to him. When we left, it was warm enough, that I wasn't going to put the bonnet on him, but I put the booties on him. I figured we could get one, maybe two more uses before his feet were too big for them. Sadly, in the course of our walk yesterday, he lost them.

So, we started home and searched for them along the way. By this time, the weather had taken a rather sudden turn for the worse. The bright, sunny sky was fairly full of heavy clouds and threatening rain. The temperature had dropped almost twenty degrees and the wind started howling even more then it was earlier. By some strange miracle, I managed to find one of the booties. The baby was getting upset because his feet were cold.

I picked him up out of the stroller in my arms, wrapped the blanket tighter around him and then held him under my shawl as we continued on. We made it as far as the post office, which is a 1/4 of a mile from home before I had to take shelter. We stopped in there and I called for his father on the cell phone. The boy was very upset, but a bit calmer since we were out of the weather. I'm glad that I have a woolen shawl and that it was the one I picked. His major source of upset since I had him under the shawl was the wind making the shawl flap around him.

I'm thankful that I can say that we didn't have the branches falling around us or even a tree fall down beside us (some girls playing in their backyard up in the city had a tree come down beside them). I'm just trying to keep myself from getting upset with the fact that the other bootie is literally gone with the wind.

No comments: