roses

roses

Thursday, December 27, 2018

Easy morning egg cups. (Low carb.)

This has become a breakfast staple for me since developing diabetes. I love my silicone cupcake pan for making these. Because of two things: getting them out of the pan is easy as pie and clean up is a breeze. I have a few varieties that I make these in.

Version one: Sunny side up.

Break one egg into each compartment of a greased muffin tin (or of an ungreased silicone muffin pan). With a fork prick the yolk sack twice. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.

Version two: Scrambled

Crack six eggs into a bowl. Whisk together until well blended. Pour some into each compartment of a muffin tin prepared as per version one. Your compartment should be 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.

Version three: Fruited.

Prepare as per scrambled version. Add one or two berries to each compartment. Bake as for scrambled.

Version four: With Meat.

I've been using precooked bacon for this. Dice up the bacon fine. Then add it to the eggs prepared as per the scrambled version. Bake as for scrambled. If you want, you can do this with cooked breakfast sausage.

Version five: With Kale/Spinach

Again, prepare your eggs as per the scrambled version. Cut your veggies up fine. Sprinkle them in to your egg mixture and then bake as for scrambled.

The fruited and the vegetable versions add a minimal amount of carbs per egg cup. If you use black berries or blueberries, it is something like three carbs per egg cup when you put up to four berries in there.

Now, there is some genius out there who have made mini quiche with ham slices as the crust in this process. I've yet to try out that recipe. When I do, I'll post my thoughts on it and what I did to it. Because I can never leave a recipe that I enjoy alone, I just have to experiment with it.

No comments: