roses

roses

Friday, June 11, 2021

Trimming dead wood and such.

 The tree out front, apparently, was in dire need of trimming as per the tree company that came to tend it at the landlord's request. They were out here at eight am and, now, about two hours later, they are finished here for the day. They took out a bunch of dead wood out of the tree and pruned it heavily on the side facing the house.

I asked the owner of the company a few questions, as I was curious and never encountered tree trimming on this scale before. They were able to leave some branches out for us to hang bird feeders on. The trimming on the house side of the tree was to cut back on the moisture and shade on that area. This will, reportedly, help with the moisture problem that the residents in the downstairs apartments have been having. They went around the property and took out a few dead trees and a few trees that were growing way too close to the trailers.

I asked the owner to look at the trees on the property line and he confirmed that they were definitely dead ash trees (he cursed the Emerald Ash Borer Beetle as he did so, because it's been a scourge on the ash trees here). He encouraged me to call the landlord to discuss the company returning to get them away from the house.

The kids left for school with a much larger maple tree in the yard. They may be mightily offended by how heavily it's been pruned. I am disappointed by the fact that the trees by the trailers had to go because there were cardinals nesting in two of them. I don't know what all of this means for Beloved's bird watching hobby. I suspect that we'll be seeing less variety of birds. I may be wrong, but I don't know. There's been a progressive decrease in trees in the area around the property due to Emerald Ash Borer Beetle damage. The lot behind us used to be fully wooded but it was all cut down about two years ago because of that damn beetle. The lot two parcels up the road from us was wooded and it got cut down a few months ago for the same reason. 

I'd plant new trees but I know that it's not my property and the trees are not wanted. I just am going to miss the birds. Every year, there seems to be less birds around because there is more tree loss.

No comments: