roses

roses

Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Charity project underway.

 I don't have pictures of the pile of hats right now. But, over the last week, I made 10 preemie hats for the local NICU. My goal is to make 100 this year. Last year, the donation program was suspended due to COVID-19. This year, it's up in the air as to what is going on with it. Still, the year before I made approximately 50 hats. I'm making 100 to make up for the fact that I didn't get any done last year. I have been using the proceeds from a book designated for charity to buy yarn for these hats. If I still have money coming in from that book after I have hit 100 preemie hats, I am going to start working on stuff for the other charity that I make things for as part of the spinning guild.

They're called Warm Extremities. They take hats, mittens, gloves, and scarves to distribute to the needy. Again, the last time the spinning guild met, I had a box of good for them. I think the total I donated to Warm Extremities was something around 25 scarves and 10 hats. I will figure out the number I am going to donate to Warm Extremities after I hit 100 preemie hats.

I figured out why that luxury yarn I spun is so itchy. The skin on my neck is more sensitive than the skin on my wrist (where I wore a strand to see if I was going to have an allergic reaction to it). The guard hairs in the baby alpaca yarn is very soft but not quite soft enough for my skin there. It's frustrating because I made 3 different style of chokers to wear out of that yarn. So, I am probably going to stick them up on Etsy for sale. The luxury yarn is 30% Merino, 30% Tussah silk, 20% baby Camel, and 10% royal baby Alpaca fiber. It spun up really nicely but the Alpaca just doesn't agree with me.

I forgot about that fact because I gave away the Alpaca scarf that I had made (due to the fact that it made my neck itch like mad) about a year ago. The person who received it was thrilled to get something completely handmade and wears it whenever the weather gets cold. So, it went to a good home. I still have Alpaca fiber to spin up. I have a good amount of it. It is pencil roving that I am debating putting on my distaff so that I can just spin it with my drops spindle. Going around dressed in all black is cool, but I don't want grey Alpaca fiber all over my clothes, hence the distaff.

No comments: