roses

roses

Monday, January 11, 2010

Hmm...

So, it's winter and I tend to make casseroles more during this time of year. I think I want to do a few new ones. I've been looking around on the internet for ideas that'll let me use up some of my stash of beans. Here's what has caught my eye:

Zulandt's Lentil Casserole: I've got the lentils and all I ever use them for is soup. I'm thinking this could make something nice and hearty for a weeknight dinner. Beloved often gets rather harried at work and sometimes winds up missing lunch all together. I'm thinking this could make a good fix for the feeling of hunger that comes with that and possibly a nice reheated lunch for the next day.

Navy Bean and Artichoke Casserole: We both like artichokes and I've almost four cups of dried navy beans sitting on the shelf. I may need to make a few substitutions, but this looks interesting. If I make a loaf of bread with this or some rolls, it could make for a nice dinner. I'm thinking that it'll only need a few things picked up at the store and if I add a little crumbled bacon to this, Beloved will probably really enjoy it.

Green Split Pea and Vegetable Casserole: This looks like an interesting recipe and can make for something different to do with the four cups of dried split peas I've got on the shelf. I'd really like to do something more then just split pea soup. While we all enjoy it, I want to have something different to do with it. This looks like something that we can put a simple ham sandwich with it and make for a full meal. Beloved feels that each meal should include meat some how. The only time that he's willing to consider not having meat in a meal is if it's pasta, and even then I get funny looks when I don't have meat in the menu.

Taco Casserole
: I'll be making a Frankenstein monster out of this recipe, the one I've got in my Campbell's Casseroles and One Dish Meals cookbook, and the cookbook from my Great-Grandmother. I have almost four cups of chili in the freezer right now along with four cups of dried kidney beans on the shelf. Before I start making up more chili, I need to use up the stuff in the freezer. The cashew chili went over alright, except for the fact that Beloved felt it needed meat. I'm in the midst of developing the perfect chili recipe. I've already done the chili recipe that burns like the fires of Hell, so now I need to do something else that is just so wonderful that it's to die for.

I'll post up some stuff later about that recipe and a few other things of moderate interest. I think I'm going to be using this blog as a spot where I do my menu planning. Who knows, maybe the internet will find this useful or interesting.

No comments: