roses

roses

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Going to Buffalo.

Yep, my husband and I do that some times. We don't live *too* far away so we can get over this way to visit some of our friends here. Last night, after the baby shower, we came out for a game that my husband helps to run. As he was assisting in directing the players to their various tasks and keeping order in the chaos that usually follows, I sat and worked on some embroidery. The baby blanket that I have been making for the last year is almost done.

It was a quiet evening, despite the fact that the game was an active group and after which we came to a friend's house for a bonfire. Somehow, even with all the potential for things to turn crazy, it didn't. I am glad that we stopped over here at our friends' house. After the baby is born, we're not really going to get too many opportunities to just cruise over here and hang out. I'm not sure but I think this may be the last time I come out this way for a while.

I feel sad because I am going to miss a lot of folks. At the same time, there is a good deal of teenage angst/drama that happens surrounding the games we play in that I won't miss. I've made some good friends here and I'll do my best to keep in touch with them. I just hope that it doesn't turn into a case of 'out of sight, out of mind.' I don't know what I'll be doing to get out of the house and take a break from taking care of the baby. I sincerely hope that it will not be something foolish, like perhaps going to the mall or something equally inane. It's hard enough to figure out what to do with myself now, before the baby is born.

I am nervous that I'm going to possibly be socially isolated by virtue of the fact that I'm not going to be leaving home very much. In the same moment, however, I feel relieved to have some of the social awkwardness lifted from my shoulders. I'm not exactly comfortable in a city setting and I find that I have a difficult time finding common ground with folks who are from the city. It still surprises me that some of my most lasting friendships are from people who were raised in major metropolitan areas. I guess my rough, some what shy, country ways isn't too alienating. I just worry that they are. Now, I'm going to be embarking on something of a great adventure, raising a child with my husband. I hope that the baby doesn't grow up to resent us too much for not favoring the city and it's rapid pace of life. It sure does look more interesting then watching grass grow in our little town or out on the farm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mm... major metropolitan areas like I came from?

Reminds me, I have a few things I need to send you, and I forgot to send them last week so as they'd reach you on time for the shower. Darn.

Ah well, gives me more time to accumulate things to send you. :)