roses

roses

Friday, November 30, 2018

NaBloPoMo 24/30

Egg 'muffin' cups are not exactly my best friend right now. But they're becoming a pretty solid part of my morning diet again. This time, I'm trying to make them more quiche like. For the first time ever, I tried the crustless quiche that Tops had on sale. At 6 carbs and only 2 minutes in the microwave, it was a solid breakfast win. Between that and a slice of banana bread, I had reasonable breakfast with plenty of protein to go with the carbs. Then I did my math and realized I short changed myself 10 points of carbs so I ate a cookie.

This is how my diet has been going. Attempt to figure out the math of what I'm going to eat before I eat it. Eat, recheck my math and if I am low go have something more. I am getting better about the mathematics side of carb counting, I guess. Buying a set of pretty measuring cups that look like bowls help me feel less horrible about eating only a cup of chili for dinner because I'm using a bowl instead of a measuring cup. (Also, if they come out with a set of dishes with the blue and white design on the 1/4 cup measuring cup from the Pioneer Woman set of measuring cups/bowls, I might be compelled to buy them. Because it is really pretty.)

I have been attempting to use a blended keto recipes and non-keto recipes way forward to manage my blood sugar. I'm having reasonably good results with it. My fasting blood sugar, when I actually stick with my diet, is solidly in the upper part of the normal range. I am trying to get myself back to eating 30 to 35 carbs per meal because I have noticed that at 40 to 45 carbs per meal, my fasting blood sugar is slowly creeping up higher.

I think the solution here is to be more strict in my measurement of what I eat. For about two months now, I have been trying to estimate and eat according to that. I thought that I had a reasonably good grasp on how much serving portions are. Now, I'm not so sure. So, I am going to attempt to go back to strict measurements and such again as I was doing back in April. I don't know if I am going to lose more weight. I'm not trying to lose my weight as much as I'm trying to get my fasting blood sugar down about ten to twenty points. Bouncing between 201 and 178 for my fasting reading is stressing me out. From what I have been reading, those are better numbers to have after eating, not as fasting numbers.

I think I may have to schedule an appointment with a dietician. Because internet wisdom has not been my friend. And I learned the hard way that the full ketogenic diet is bad for me. I didn't get into ketosis but I got an earful from my doctor and the care coordinator about how attempting the ketogenic diet was dangerous for me because of the diabetes. Add to that the fact that I don't have a gall bladder to help me process the fat and cholesterol is not my friend right now, I just can't do the full ketogenic diet.

What is really frustrating, however, is the diabetic friendly recipes and cookbooks talk about these wonderful recipes. With carbohydrate numbers that are too high per serving for me to have anything else. It's making me somewhat depressed and frustrated. It is bad enough that I had to give up my comfort foods because they make my blood sugar spike. It's bad enough that I have had to give up my 'treat' foods because they make my blood sugar spike and the replacements are just about as bad.

The whole thing makes me feel like the thing I should do is starve myself. I know that's a terrible life decision, having done that in high school for a number of reasons. As I said in my last post, it is something I need to work through and resolve/process or whatever. This diabetes business is as hard if not harder on me than the bipolar because food has always been a big PTSD trigger for me. And all this year, this trigger has been right in my face. It's been exhausting.

No comments: