roses

roses

Friday, February 19, 2021

I am annoyed.

 Way back in 1998, when the site Mysticwicks was still around, I shared a chant that I had written the year before. Flash forward twenty some years, I find that an artist took my chant and set it to the exact music I had planned for it, and adapted it by adding 'baby talk' gibberish as a chorus between the lyrics. I am not amused. I am highly annoyed. This album came out sometime in early 2000s, so they sat on it for a little bit while MW was still up and running.

I have a note book with the dated entry of when I wrote the original chant in September of 1997. A part of me says that I could go after them but I'm broke and the effort of getting into a fight about this isn't going to do me any favors. I am just really annoyed and disgusted. It makes me disinclined to share original material for free anywhere. I'm posting stuff up on Tumblr because if you repost it, it automatically pings back to the original source. 

I think my annoyance with this is just heightened because of someone attempting to rip off my witchy blog in an effort to pad their blog post count and to steal my readership base. That's why I turned off the repost feature on that particular blog. Because that is one of the blogs that I'm using to try to make some money and build a career with, I tend to take a hard line against the theft of intellectual property. It's one thing to quote a blog post. It's one thing to quote it and add commentary. But to just copy it wholesale and then post a link to your blog in the comments is bullshit.

No comments: