roses

roses

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Rambling thoughts.

So, in my grocery shopping, I picked up a bunch of veggies for the stock pot. I think I'll be making vegetable stock this week. I used my beef stock in some soup for my lunch last week. It was positively delightful. I threw in a bit of the sauerkraut when I zapped it up in the microwave. It was a wonderful addition.

It's a bit frustrating that I am the only one in the house who will eat cabbage. That said, I must confess, I don't mind not having competition when it comes to this sauerkraut. I think I am going to make another batch when I finish this off. But the second jar of sauerkraut that get's made, I am going to bring over to my grandparents. I figure bring that and a loaf of sourdough bread will be well received.

I am excited about the coming good weather. I have all these wonderful things that I want to grow. I am really, REALLY hoping that I can do well with tomatoes so that I can make my own salsa. I am interested in doing some small batch canning this summer/autumn. Among the things I want to make are salsa, chutney, and chicken soup. I think I prefer the fermented pickles to the vinegar packed ones, but I do want to try my hand as some vinegar packed pickles too.

I have been letting my cooking interests dictate what I plan on growing (as well as the lighting conditions). I still have some herbs dried from last year that I need to use up. I think that I will be using the mint and lemon balm to make some herbal teas. I am not exactly sure what I will do with the sage. I have seen things about how to make your own smudging bundles with it. I don't think I have enough to do much of a bundle, but I may make some ground incense with it.

I must go and do my cleaning in the kitchen before I go do laundry. I hope that my bread dough will rise properly. I hope that my sourdough starter revives after the feeding I just gave it. And, I hope that you all have a wonderful day.

No comments: