roses

roses

Monday, March 16, 2020

Obligatory Plague Post

I'm waiting for the Governor to put the state under quarantine. I'm waiting for the county to do it. I know sure as hell that the President is not going to put the nation under lockdown until we've got a stupidly high body count of poor people and a moderate body count of rich people. Because the President is detached from reality and a monster.

I've been tracking the progression of COVID-19 through New York. It's traveling along the routes that I expected (major highways). There's now 7 suspected cases in Livingston County. Rumor is going around that one of those cases was confirmed and that they worked at the Walmart that we frequent. I'm going to discount that rumor as fear mongering, but it is disturbing.

Saturday, the county declared a state of emergency in the early evening. A few hours later, I got a phone call from the school that the school was closing for an indefinite period of time. We're doing our best to practice social distancing but it's hard because Beloved has to go to work and his parents need some help with stuff.

The exponential growth explosion of cases through out the state does not give me confidence that we're going to get through this unscathed. Beloved tells me that we're still at the 50/50 point. I really hope that our odds stick around that number. We've both been watching the progression of this thing and we're taking precautions. We have enough rations for almost a month, which includes creative but not necessarily tasty cooking.

The school is going to be giving out breakfast and dinner to families that were using the free lunch program. They're going to deliver it to our home. That's starting tomorrow. That will stretch our dry goods a ways for as long as it is possible to keep it up. I'm concerned that Beloved's parents don't have enough supplies if they're housebound for longer than two weeks. I'm trying not to worry but I have an anxiety problem that this thing has kicked into high gear.

Panic buying has made it difficult to acquire things like toilet paper, powdered milk, and flour. Stores will be restocking as they clean over nights according to the news. Hopefully that means we'll be able to get flour and powdered milk. We've got enough toilet paper, I think. I don't know why people did a big run on toilet paper. I understand the run on bottled water. We're on town water and it's pretty good so we're just hoping that nothing disrupts it.

The neighborhood is pretty quiet but it usually is right now. Most people have gone to work as per usual. Who knows what tomorrow looks like. I've been praying. I've been doing my best to keep the kids entertained. It's going to be hard not going out to the park. Fortunately, we have a good sized yard and the nearest kid that is their age lives a few houses down in either direction. So, while they only have each other for playmates, I'm confident that the boys won't come within 6 feet of someone who is infected while they play outside. I will be supervising them and reminding them about maintaining that "space bubble" with people who are not family or live in our apartment.

It's funny. When I was a kid, I had nightmares of a plague. I had dreams of people dying from something like the flu to the point where we were burning houses down rather than burying people in an attempt to prevent the spread of the disease. My parents told me that it was the fruit of an over active imagination and my interest in medieval history. I wonder now if it was premonition. Their lunatic prepper ways because of the Cold War did something to prepare me for this. I just hope that I remember enough to handle it well.

No comments: