roses

roses

Monday, March 23, 2020

Home schooling: Week 2 - Actual schedule + Work

So, we're on week two of no school. Because the kids need their academics, I am home schooling. The school is promising to send us supplies and instructional materials. With the unofficial quarantine
order (I get that the governor didn't want to scare people by say the state is under quarantine but the PAUSE acronym is stupid and I refuse to use it.), I have no idea if those materials are going to get to us or not. That said, being the person who has back up plans for their back up plans, I put together a schedule and some lesson plans for the kids. They're really rough because I suck at lesson planning.

The dash mark indicates the lesson for a given day, going by order M-F for each subject. Because I have yet to locate the guitar music book, I'm just letting the kids strum away and make up their own songs right now for their music time. I have a stockpile of science kits thanks to MK down in Maryland. She finds the coolest stuff and sends it up for the kids during the holidays. I aim to have weekly themes for the science and social studies things. I've been giving the kids writing prompts for their writing and reading logs. My goal is to eventually get them to work on those independently.

As you can see, I made a mistake in writing up Billy's lesson plan. We're doing the crystal kits today. It's going to be a casual on-going experiment. We have two small kits and one big kit. We're going to observe how fast the crystals grow and figure out which one has the biggest crystals and grew the fastest. We've got books about rocks and fossils in part because of my hobby collecting rocks. So this week's theme is rocks (which the crystal kit is part of because they're growing borax crystals, I believe).

The social studies themes are based on what they were doing in school as of the last time I spoke with their teachers, which was about three days before everything was shut down. Doug already has an opinion on the question of if he wants to be president or not. It's a hard NO. I'm going to get him to give me some evidence to back up that no. Billy has already decided he wants to go to Ecuador. So, I want him to give me reasons why.



No comments: