roses

roses

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Fiber, Fluff, and stuff.

Not the best pic, but this is the beginnings of a center panel for a sweater I've decided I'm going to make. The colorway is Sunset. The yarn is Caron's Simply Soft Paints. It is sport weight acrylic. I have several balls of brown that matches the brown in this colorway. I'm going to use them for the rest of the sweater. I'm aiming for a simple pull over the head sweater.

It's probably going to look boxy, but whatever. I'm making this with out a pattern.

If you can't tell, this is supposed to be something like that planned color pooling where it comes out with an argyle pattern. I don't quite have that happening, but maybe after some more rows it will emerge. I don't know. I'm going to make one for the front and one for the back. This right here is one ball. I am using the Granite stitch. I am using a size H hook. My gauge is approximately 10 stitches per inch and 5 rows per inch. So far, the stitch has been really easy to use. I find it kinda relaxing and pleasant to work on.

I used it and the end of a ball of blue-grey-white variegated cotton yarn to make a pair of wash cloths. The stitches worked up really easily. I also think that the argyle effect was more pronounced. I am pretty sure that was due to a difference in the spacing of the way it was dyed. I probably will need to adjust my tension or something with the acrylic one I'm working with. I'm enjoying the let's make something looking complicated from space dyed yarn.

I am trying to spin my spaced dyed wool so that I could maybe eventually do that with it. I don't think I'm going to have as much success, though. I only got about 20 minutes of spinning done this week. I'm using my little Turkish spindle and the rainbow dyed roving that my mother in law gave me for yule two years ago. I am also using my little pink wrist distaff.

It's nothing exciting, but it may become something so eventually, right?



No comments: