roses

roses

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pickle experiment - take 3!

I bought several packages of cucumbers. At three dollars a pop, it is my hope that I have enough to make a good batch of pickles in my pickle crock. I fear, however, that I may not have bought enough to fill the crock. I'm trying not to be anxious about this.

I have some pickling spices that I bought at the grocery store on my last trip (last week). I am going to be throwing them into a little cheesecloth bag and tossing them into the brine solution with the pickles. I learned with the last batch that I don't care for dill pickles. Here's hoping that this will come out with a sweeter pickle. I've read a few different tricks about how to keep the pickles crunchy. I believe I am going to give the addition of a grape leaf a try. According to theory the tannic acid in the grape leaf works to keep the pickles crunchy.

I'll report back on how this grand experiment works out.

No comments: