winter

winter

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Fiber Fluff

This week, I finished two washcloths. One was just plain single crochet square of 8 in by 8 in. The other Tunisian simple stitch square of the same diameters. I edged them with a bit of multicolored crochet cotton. I'd have posted pictures but I can't remember where I put the blasted things.

I also finished a crochet wall hanging. It was very simple. I can't really call it much of a sampler. The starting chain was crochet around a 3 foot length of wooden dowel that is 1/4 of an inch in diameter. After this, I did single crochet for two rows. Then I did double crochet for three rows. This was followed by a section about six rows wide of linen stitch. I got bored of this and did another three rows in single crochet. Then I started a different pattern with it. Using single crochet and a contrasting yarn, I worked up rows alternating between the contrast yarn and the main color base on the Fibonacci sequence. I ran out of contrast yarn by the time I hit the section that would have required thirty five rows.

So, I did a few rows in the main color to create a visual divider. At which point I did alternating rows of shell stitch with the main color and a different contrast yarn. I got bored doing the shell stitch when I was at seven rows in. So, I did another section of single crochet with the main color. Then I worked a ripple stitch for about twelve rows. By this time, the whole project measured 3 feet by 2.5 feet. I decided it was about the length I needed for the spot on the wall beside my side of the bed. So, I fastened off my yarn and wove in my ends. When I hung it up, it looked... ok. The main color was royal blue yarn I had left over from Beloved's sweater vest from the year before last. And the contrast yarns were stuff I had left over from other projects. I lean towards declaring the thing somewhat ugly, but it wasn't supposed to be pretty, just something to keep a cold draft off of me. It seems to be serving that function fairly well.

Now, there is one thing that I am pleased with. And that is the bonnet that I'm going to share below. I made this in memory of Stargazer, one of my best friends from college that died a few years ago. I made it in two of her favorite colors. And, I gave it to someone who was in need, which I knew she would have wanted.



Here's the pattern.

Use a small amount of sport weight baby yarn, a size H crochet hook, and size 3 double pointed knitting needles.

Crochet portion:
Foundation: Chain 14 stitches plus one to turn.
Row 1: Single crochet into each stitch, work three single crochet into the end stitch before working a single crochet into the back of each stitch. Chain one and turn your work. (30 Stitches.)
Row 2: Single crochet into each stitch, at the first of the three stitches at the middle of your row, work an increase of one. single crochet into the center stitch, then work an increase of one before doing single crochet into each stitch to the end of your row. Chain one and turn your work. (32 Stitches.)
Row 3 - 8: Repeat row two, increasing in the stitch immediately before the center of the row and after it. (R3: 34, R4: 36, R5: 38, R6:40, R7: 42, R8: 44)
Row 9 : Change color. Single crochet into each stitch, turn.
Row 10-15: Single crochet into each stitch, turn.
Row 16: Change color, Single crochet into each stitch, turn.
Row 17-22: Single crochet into each stitch, turn.
Row 23: Change color, single crochet into each stitch, turn.
Row 24: Single crochet into each stitch.
Row 25: Crab stitch into each stitch.

Knitted portion:
Pick up 4 loops across the edge of final colored section. This should include the working loop from the final crab stitch, the two edge loops for the section and the first edge loop of the previous colored block. Knit 4 stitches. Turn work, knit 4 more. Then proceed to knit an i-cord that is 8 inches long. Bind off knit wise. Weave yarn end in. Make a simple knot in the end of the cord.

On the opposite side, pick up 4 loops across the edge of the final color section: the first edge of the first crab stitch, the edge of the final single crochet in that row, the turning stitch of the previous row and the edge loop of the final row of the previous colored section. Using the same color as what was worked for the final colored crochet section, knit 4 stitches. Turn work, knit 4 more. Then knit an i-cord that is 8 inches long. Bind off knit wise. Weave yarn end in. Make a simple knot at the end of the cord.

I think that my total spinning time this week was a half hour. I didn't get much done. I was too busy running around and doing stuff. I am going to try to get more done over the next week. If nothing else, spinning guild is coming up soon.

Aside from a bit of mending, I really haven't done any sewing. I have, however, started work on a needle book for A. I am using up scraps of yarn from previous projects. I will post the chart for the front and back covers once I have them drawn up. Everything is very simple. I am completing it in tent stitch. While the designs do not look as polished as they would in cross stitch, it makes it easier to have the color runs of the variegated stuff I'm using for the background look nicer. I'll post a pic of the project when it is done as well. (All things considered, I think I may have it done by next Wednesday at the latest.

No comments: