roses

roses

Friday, February 17, 2017

Crafting for Charity.

I am still making preemie hats for the local NICU. (Specifically for the Golisano Children's Hospital at Strong. These people are the ones who took care of me when I was born 3 mo early.) I am excited to say that over the last few months, I managed to learn how to knit the hats.

I was having some difficulty, but after a little work and some patience, I got it so that I could make that hat with out any gaps at the top. One of the ones that I am really pleased with is in this picture. I made it yesterday.

I am excited to do this. There's two reasons for my excitement. First, I want to do something meaningful for my community. Second, I feel like this is completely something that my Grandmother K. would have wanted me to do. She was pleased that I was learning to knit. When I showed her a hat I had made at one point, she was really proud of how well I was doing. I feel like this is continuing on her love into the world at large.

This hat is really, really simple. It is essentially the same as the Umblical Cord hat that you see around on the interwebz. The only difference here is that the hat is small enough you can put it on an apple or an orange. As, that is about the size of a lot of the preemie's heads. They do need hats that are larger, and some of those babies in there are full term. So, my next goal is to start making them bigger with out mistakes. (That is still a learning process right there, but I got the tiny ones right. So there is hope for me yet, right?)

No comments: