roses

roses

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Baby shower gossip. :)

Sorry I didn't post this sooner. Life has gotten busy and I've been feeling very tired of late. On the up-side, it seems that the baby has begun to descend to the proper position and it's raining right now (which means much less humidity).

The baby shower was held at my husband's parents' house a few weeks ago. The weather was stunning and fortunately not too warm. The color scheme was blue and white. I've noticed that a great many things in my life have had that color scheme (high school grad party, engagement party, baby shower, a birthday party...). I wonder if it's a weird coincidence or some twist of fate. Either way, aside from the color scheme, the other major theme was 'It's a Boy!'

Fortunately, folks didn't get too nuts over it all. I was a bit concerned that they'd go crazy. You never know with my husband's sister. The food was standard picnic fare with an ice cream cake for dessert. I was quite glad that I've taken to carrying lactaid in my purse with me everywhere. I don't think I would have been able to have about half of the food there if I hadn't had it.

I generally hate the dopey games that they make you play at baby showers. Anyone who knows me also knows that I'm not a fan of Bingo in any incarnation of the game. Fortunately, there was only one game played at the baby shower. Unfortunately, I had to suffer thru 'Baby Bingo'. I think I hid my distaste for playing Bingo fairly well. Though I knew that my brother's wife and my mother were both secretly smiling at how much I was suffering. To me, Bingo is the most god-forsakenly boring game on the face of the earth. It doesn't matter how cute you try to make it, it's still boring. We only played 2 rounds, so I wasn't bored for too long. The serious Bingo players in the group, I noticed, lit right up like Christmas trees at the prospect of playing. The kids had fun also, so I guess it wasn't too bad.

It really was a huge surprise that Mom was there. I had expected her to still be out in Ohio or on the road. Everyone except for my husband and I were in on the surprise, apparently. It was wonderful to see her when I had prepared myself not to. I don't think I can really put into words how much it meant for her to be there. Mom had missed my bridal shower because she was on the road trying to get a little more money to help pay for the wedding. It was a huge disappointment, and that was before the familial drama of my Grandmother's stunt.

I now realize that I am switching back and forth between capitalizing Mom and mother. As well as making other grammatical errors. I don't think I care at the moment. :) Sorry, Lady Cinnibar, but the internal editor is on vacation right now. :P (It's always fun to drive my former english major friends nuts... LOL)

The other major highlights of the party were:
  • My husband and his father eating the charred hot-dogs. One of these things still had smoke coming off of it! And they were thrilled that these things were so burned. Just goes to show you, I am married to an odd man. :)

  • Watching my brother-in-law's girls and my eldest niece play with the adorable little puppy they had brought with them. I think it's called a cockapoo (it's a cross between a cockatiel and a poodle) and is named Toffy. Real pretty little thing with fur the color of caramel and cream, and has a very sweet temperament, too.

  • The gift of the refurbished antique rocking chair from my husband's parents left me as speechless as seeing my mother there. This chair, if my suspicion is correct, came from the house of his late grandfather. It is a wonderful and very comfortable rocking chair. If I can manage it, I'll try to post a picture of this thing up here. I'm not very good with figuring out the whole digital camera stuff.

  • Having my eldest niece and my mother in law help me out of the rocking chair after I sat down in it was probably the funniest part of the afternoon, too. Wonderful chair, but it's difficult to get out of because it doesn't have arms!
On the whole, the party was light-years away from what I had been dreading. It was a nice, casual affair. I'm disappointed that my friends weren't able to be there. As one of the gals in Buffalo did note, there is the possibility of a 'welcome baby' party after the kid is born. It was a nice family party and I'm thankful for it. I mailed out the army of thank you cards just recently. I still need to get the film developed with the pictures from the shower on it. As things get settled out, I'll try to either make an on-line photo album or some how share these with you folks who are interested.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blue and white? Don't forget college. Their colors were blue and white, weren't they?

I'll forgive you the grammatical errors, as you're probably tired and achy all the time right now, and if you can forgive me for my bitchiness while wounded, I can forgive you for grammar errors.

Did you have to wear a paper plate hat with all the bows from the presents?

They enjoyed the crispy dogs? Strange....

Anyway, hope you enjoyed LARPing the other day. Do feel free to call me any time, 'kay? You wouldn't beleive how often I have to smack my hands and say 'no calling Deb'. Mostly because 2am is not an appropriate time to call, but that's strangely enough when your sardonic wisdom is most often missed. Lol. Lemme go wander off now before I say something truly strange!

ps- you can feel free to comment me back on my LJ you know. Ahem.