roses

roses

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Thoughts of the future.

Someday, I hope that we have a small plot of land. Something big enough where I can have my garden and maybe a few chickens. With the thought of chickens in mind, I am slapping these links up here as a reminder for myself.

Respectful Chicken Harvest #1
Respectful Chicken Harvest #2

I was impressed with the calm and efficiency of her actions. I also couldn't help but feel deep appreciation for her working to soothe the dying chicken and to make the process as calm as possible for the bird. I wish that this was the rule for how meat has been harvested. I would be more comfortable buying meat products that were raised in an ethically conscious fashion and in an ecologically responsible one. Alas, that is something of a luxury.

Someday, it may happen that we get our little plot of land. I may be able to raise a few chickens and ensure that their lives from hatching to hatchet are as peaceable as I can manage. In the meantime, however, I am going to focus my efforts of making sure that my home is as peaceable as it can be and as ecologically sound as I can manage. I can at least control that.

No comments: