roses

roses

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Fiber Fluff: Indecision time.

 I am currently struggling with deciding what to spin out of my stash right now and what to use for it. I have some random blue-purple dyed Merino in a neatly rolled up batt. I have two balls of grey baby Apaca in pencil roving. At the same time, I still have some fiber that I washed that I need to pick and card from last summer. And I have a box of fluffy random Blue Face Leicester wool dyed a delightful shade of red to card. I want to do spinning but I just can't settle on what I'm going to work on. It doesn't help that I can't decide if I want to get out my kick wheel or use one of my spindles. I've been stuck in this state of indecision for about a month now. So I have gotten no spinning done at all.

I have a bag that I am making as a gift for someone almost done. I need to put handles on it. I'm trying to decide what manner of handles it is going to get. I didn't enjoy that ball of yarn and I wasn't impressed with the color pooling as it worked up. It is commercially spun acrylic yarn that is very loosely plied. While that gives it some softness in its hand feel, it makes the yarn very splitty and frustrating to work with. I got through most of the ball of yarn with the bag pattern. I still have about a third of it left and another whole matching ball that I need to figure out what I'm going to do with it.

I have started making a yellow sweater for myself. It's going to be a pair of granny-hexagons sewn together. It's just like the baby sweater pattern, just made bigger. I figure it'll be fun to make and wear. I don't really have any yellow in my wardrobe, so this could be a thing. It is left over acrylic yarn from the monstrosity. I only needed two balls of yellow for that section, not four as I had thought.

Speaking of the monstrosity, I am almost half through that final triangle. It's basically a big blanket now. A big, weirdly shaped blanket. The first triangle was half of a ball of yarn. Silly me, I didn't realize that each triangle was a double of the one before it. So, I went from 1/2 a ball of yarn to 1 ball of yarn, to 2 balls of yarn, to 4 balls of yarn. It wouldn't be quite so bad except I'm working from a 1lb ball of yarn per each ball. The final four balls of yarn are green. I'm not doing eight balls of blue and sixteen balls of purple to do the full color spectrum as I had initially planned with this project. If I had started this thing with the correct (smaller) sized hook, it wouldn't be this huge. I, however, made a tactical error and used a big hook.

No comments: