roses

roses

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Something happier.

I'm enjoying pregnancy. So far it's been a wonderful experience, though the second trimester morning sickness is not that much fun. There's been some ups and downs, but life generally has been good. Oddly enough, the only concerns that I find myself plagued with are revolving around money. Some of this is obviously due to the fiscal changes that will be coming with the baby and some of this is due to the fact that I will be taking a year off from working at the school. Efforts to plan and prepare for the baby have been helping some to get this worry under control.

Some days, I have some really amazing things happen that gives me hope for the world. Yesterday was one of those days. I can't stop smiling and being endlessly proud of these kids that I work with at the school. As some of my friends may know and I may have stated here, I work with students that are mentally disabled and facing other educational challenges. The majority of the students in the classroom where I am are mentally disabled to the extent that they will most likely not be able to live on their own after they are done with school. Generally, they're of a good disposition and cheerfully face their challenges daily.

We go to the local nursing home to visit and entertain the residents. Earlier this week, I had learned that two of the residents were going to be celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary this weekend. I mentioned this too the kids and next thing I knew we were planning a surprise anniversary party. The students who normally argue like cats and dogs worked together diligently to accomplish this happy goal. Each persons contribution came together beautifully and this couple (who have so warmly embraced these kids and are facing their own share of difficulties) were delighted with the end result. Friday afternoon, we walked in the door with four balloons, a cake, and a card. We walked out with smiles, heartfelt gratitude, and a sense of pride in having done something truly wonderful.

And I think that the kids taught the adults around a valuable lesson that day.

No matter who you are or what you do, a little kindness can go a very long way.

I'm so very, very proud of them.

No comments: