roses

roses

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Turkey Day, oh Turkey Day!

Thanksgiving has come and gone. We had an easier time of it this year then we did over the past few years. Due to my cousin's graduation from Marine boot camp, the majority of my family wasn't in town. They were travling down to see him. So we went to visit my darling husband's family.

Because of the on going adventure of remodling, the Thanksgiving celebration was held at a friend of the family's house. It was great to see them. The best part of it all, however, was the food. My mother in law makes some of the best pies I have ever had. The thing that puts them head and shoulders above the rest is the pie crust. It's light and flaky, almost crisp. It's like you're eating strudel, not pie crust. I would have gobbled down that pie crust, except for one small thing, the pumpkin filling was very rich and filled me up.

I wish I could make a passable pie crust. I simply can not do it. My mother has tried for years. My mother in law has volunteered to help me, but I'm a little afraid to show her just how bad I am at it. When I make a pie crust, it comes out like cardboard. So I go buy the ready made pie crusts and use those. It's cheating but then you can actually eat my pies. I hate to say it, but my mother is right, if my mother in law can teach me how to make a pie crust, it would be a minor miracle. At least I can make bread and cookies. My husband has at least a few culinary reasons to keep me around. :)

My mother in law's friend has a wonderful cranberry relish that I now absolutely must find the recipie for. It's a combination of raw cranberries, oranges and something else. It tastes absolutely spectacular. When we got some of it as part of the left-overs that we carried off, I made sure it was in my lunch for work friday. It's just absolutely delicious! Just like that wonderful carrot soup. I hadn't had carrot soup before and I was a little uneasy about it. Out of politeness sake, I tried some.

I finished off that whole bowl of soup. It was amazing. Such a warm and satifying soup, who would have thought you could have made it with carrots. It was a nice, creamy soup that was amazingly well complemented by the acorn squash that was the bowl. It's another recipie that I simply must find and hang on to. Perhaps I will have to make that and serve it for a holiday dinner. I'm not decided yet.

Yes, Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of year. This year was marvelously simple. We didn't have to run from one house to another. We had wonderful food, plesant company and charming conversation. It was definately a good day. We even got to sleep in nice and late.

Ofcourse, I did accidentally forget to call my family and wish them a happy thanksgiving. It's a good thing that there are the "belated" happy thanksgiving cards. I blame the long nap that the turkey induced. :)

No comments: