roses

roses

Friday, September 10, 2021

My back hates me.

 I didn't fall or anything injurious like the last time. I bent over and picked up a stupid piece of paper. One single sheet of loose leaf paper was all it took for me to put my back out. I had a telehealth appointment yesterday with one of the doctors in the practice that my family doctor is part of. (He was out of the office yesterday.) She was a lovely person and the student who sat in for the conference was pleasant as well. I described what happened. She asked me a few questions and then prescribed a muscle relaxant and told me to continue the pain reliever that I had taken at the time. She recommended that I alternate between the Aleve and Tylenol to help with the pain.

The pain with out the Aleve is a 9. I don't hit that number typically. The last time that I was in pain that rated a 9 out of a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being damn near incapacitating pain, I was in labor with my son and my husband cracked a joke during a contraction. The time before that was when I was carrying said son and he kicked me in the spine. So, this was serious business discomfort that is dialed down to about a 5 with out the muscle relaxer. Sleeping Wednesday night was tricky. Sleeping last night was a lot easier because the medication stopped the spasm from cramping down so hard.

This morning, I could feel everything wearing off around 6 am. So, I took all my morning pills and the muscle relaxer before I ate breakfast. The end result was I wasn't just about crying in pain when ever I moved my back. It aches but it's not enough to put me out of commission, mostly. Standing up is uncomfortable. Walking is uncomfortable, so I've been using my cane for both. I've been spending most of my time sitting here in front of the computer bored half to death.

I have a solid half dozen writing projects sitting around me in various stages of completion but focusing on them is difficult. Because the muscle relaxer kinda has my brain a bit spaced out. I'm not to the point where I couldn't hold a conversation but doing serious writing is an entirely different story. Pardon the pun.

No comments: