roses

roses

Wednesday, December 02, 2020

Can I launch them into the sun?

 Rocker Chick was in a hard spot recently. I called on some people I knew to help her out and gave her some of the extras we had in the pantry so that they had food. She's about to hit her second trimester. Rather than being excited about this, she's filled with anxiety because she and her husband are having a hard time financially. (Thanks Covid-19 and 2020! /sarcasm) We've helped them a bit in the past and didn't think anything of it.

The extended family ... Well, I'm angry at them all over again. She called them to ask for some help and what she got told was pull herself up by her bootstraps, ignored, and to be the dumping ground of one of the more toxic members of the family's emotional garbage. The poor woman was in tears when she got ahold of me and feeling like she was a failure because she was broke.

To say the least, I rallied my allies and got them enough food to last until the food basket from one of the local churches arrives. I informed her about that program and exhorted her not to give up on getting financial assistance from the county (who kept dropping the ball and putting her off because my county is run by idiots). By the end of the day, Rocker Chick and her hubby had what they needed as well as a good start on getting that financial assistance. 

Here's what I am furious about. My late grandparents set up a family trust fund. There are members of the extended family pissing it away on frivolous crap when they should be using it to help Rocker Chick and other members of the family who are experiencing hardship. There are emotionally abusive members of the family who are taking every opportunity to be toxic and harmful emotionally to Rocker Chick when ever she makes contact (which is rarely because of their behavior). I want to launch them all into the sun.

This kind of crap is why I generally disowned them. The total number of family members from the extended family that I still have contact with that are of my parents' generation can be counted on one hand with fingers leftover. Why? Because the others would demand that I make 'nice' with my parents and resume my role of being the emotional punching bag for them. Fuck that noise. Rocker Chick is increasingly of the same mind on this because of their behavior.

No comments: