roses

roses

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Life after Hell...

As my close friends are most likely aware, one of the causes that I personally champion is that of the folks who are recovering from abuse. I feel a rather powerful affinity to those who are recovering from the effects of rape, domestic abuse, and psychological abuse. Now, you may wonder, dear Reader, why I feel akin to these troubled souls.

It is because I too have experienced this hell. With the unceasing love and support of my darling Husband, my family and my dear friends, I have made light-years of progress over the eleven years since it had happened. As I sit here, I realize with a bit of surprise that this is eleven years almost to the day since the last time I saw the monster that tormented me. And I am relieved to know that I am not shuddering in horror or feeling like I'm a wretched person because of the pain and angst I experienced.

Now, gentle Reader, you may be wondering why I am mentioning this rather unfortunate topic. It is pure irony that I am discussing this shortly after the anniversary of my misfortune. The reason why I bring this up is in the hope that the knowledge that I gained thru years of study of the effects that I was suffering, the bitter wisdom of pain, and the compassionate efforts that I put forth here will be of aid to a dear friend of mine who is now struggling in that dark wood. I also hope it can be of assistance to you, dear Reader, if you are in this harsh place of suffering.

I close this post with one statement: We are survivors. We have lived to see another day, to breathe another breath. The victims are the dead, they can not feel their hearts beating or live in hope, how ever grim or fleeting that hope may be. We are survivors.

No comments: