roses

roses

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Work Rant No. 1: Parents in denial

I work with children, I love it. Working in a day-care as an assistant teacher has proven to be some of the most challenging and most entertaining work I've done so far during my short time upon this earth.

It has also proven to be some of the most aggrivating at times. I know you would assume that it is the children that would aggrivate me, most people think that being in a room with (for example) 15 toddlers and only two other adults for support, that you're going to be trapped in some proverbial hell. Some days I do come home with a splitting headache, but it's not from the kids. They're loud, but kids are supposed to be loud. They don't know anything else, yet.

Parents, god love 'em. Some are wonderful, the real gems of humanity. They work, often working very hard, to make sure that their children have the best in the world. At times, this may require a parent to sacrifice time with their child for the sake of providing for him/her. This is why people like me have a job, I can't argue too much with this. It's when these wonderful parents are deliberately ignoring the reality of thier children's lives that I want to throttle them.

Case study no. 1: "My daughter *always* has a good day!"

Mother X is offended. She has read the daily report of how her daughter's day has been. On the note it states that her child had an "ok" day. The quote above is voiced quite loudly in my face, mother X on the verge of tears of anger. This sentiment is nice, but do you consider a good day to include upwards of 6 or 7 temper tantrums; fighting with other children; and crying for 10 to 15 min at a time for no apparent reason? Mind you, I had the courtsey not to state this to our troubled mother, gentle reader. This is but a question for you to consider.

Case study no. 2: "Oh, I don't know why you say that?"

Father Z responds to a note stating that his son has had a runny nose for the past week and now has a feaver. This little boy, a real charmer when his nose isn't a faucet of green goo, had been crying and holding his ear during and after nap time. On the note, we suggested a trip to the doctor. The father is bewildered, stating that he gave his son some cold medicine and he seemed alright. Gentle reader, I question if his father realized that his son was in the midst of an ear infection and sinus infection. It was the look of surprise when his son's nose was dripping and when we wiped it up, that made me wonder if he though that his son was playing sick the whole time.

And our third, and final Case study: "Oh, ok."

Mother Q ignores as her child proceeds to start a fight with another child right infront of her. Child Q is generally a pleasant little boy, except when he decides he wants to whomp on his associates. Then he shows that he's building up his upper body strength with some wicked haymakers for a 3 year old. I dart in, separate the children and mother Q looks at me with mild surprise. "Finish giving your teacher your hug, and we'll get chicken nuggets on the way home." She says, blithly ignoring how her little boy is kicking me in the shins as I set him down. Last I checked, the beating up of other children and kicking of adults wasn't socially acceptable behavior for a 3 year old in any part of the world... perhaps I am wrong.

No comments: