roses

roses

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I am at a loss for a title...

Ok, so I'm a geek. I'll admit it.

I didn't fully realize the extent of it until I did the following:

As I was outlining my manuscript in the effort to make editing easier I had to do something to make it easier to visualize how the battle was unfolding for a scene.

First I attempted to role-play the scene. It worked in the past when I had a difficult time determining how situations unfolded in something I was writing. Initial evidence that I am a gamer and I play in a LARP. Sad thing is, I've been doing this long before I started LARPing. When most children stopped playing pretend, I continued doing so for the sake of improving my writing.

Now that you all know *that* dark secret...

This didn't work entirely. Made it clear for me to understand how the action unfolded for one character, but not the scene. So I made my second attempt...

I took out some graph paper and drew a diagram. Have you ever played a tabletop role-play game? Like Dungeons & Dragons? Well, I had a flash back to my highschool days as a DM. (That's Dungeon Master for the unititiated. Also known as GOD or Games Operation Director.)

The sad part of all this, I've realized that I will probably need to continue this geekery to get my battle scenes consistant in my manuscript.

...


Boy am I glad that I'm home alone as I'm writing. I'd be embaressing if I got caught doing this. :P

No comments: