roses

roses

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Looking for suggestions.

I'm thinning out my cookbook collection to replace some of the less used ones with diabetic friendly cookbooks. James W. has already suggested the South Beach Diet cookbook. I've signed a copy out from the library and am going to record a few of the recipes in my notebook. I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.

I am still working on adapting old favorite recipes to my new normal. Today, I'm going to attempt to make no bake peanut butter cookies with stevia instead of sugar and dessicated unsweetened coconut flakes instead of oatmeal. It is my hope that it will be at least as good if not better than the original. I'm still planning on doing some serious holiday baking with regular sugar. I just have to go out and buy some special for the purpose. It feels weird saying that.

I'm slowly making in roads on learning recipes using almond flour in place of white flour. The almond bread recipe tastes a lot like french toast. I've decided the next time I make it I'm adding a little vanilla extract and some stevia to the loaf so that it really does taste like the fancy version of french toast and have that as a breakfast treat. I found some zero calorie/zero carbs maple syrup replacement that actually tastes kinda good. I used it on my oatmeal the other day.

I'm not going to go full keto diet because my doctor has strongly advised me against it. But I am finding that the keto snacks help me keep my blood sugar under control. A lot of those keto snacks are things like ham rolled up around a cheese stick or pickle. But I am finding that I want things like cookies once in a while. So I'm trying out those keto cookie recipes I find online. Some have worked out ok, like the one I just posted. Others came out really badly - I am not going to post those or the link to the original recipe. For the record, the original recipe was worse than my adapted version, and both were pretty horrible.

No comments: