roses

roses

Monday, June 09, 2014

Random Latin quote & thoughts.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
~ translation from Latin ~
I'll either find a way or make one.
~ Anon.

This seems to be my motto. Maybe I will embroider it on a sampler. I have been busy at work with some non-fiction writing. It is pre-writing for the next Camp Nano project I'll be doing. I haven't decided if I am going to attempt to publish it or not. After years of people telling me that I really should write down my memoirs, I'm going to do it. I'm not entirely pleased with what I'm writing at the moment but I am still getting used to writing non-fiction.

I have been trying to get some more spinning done. Unfortunately, my most recent distaff wasn't working very well with the fiber that I have. I will be transitioning to using a different one. I had forgotten how much faster I was at spinning with a distaff. I am optimistic that I will have enough spun to finish up this crochet version of that popular Wingspan shawl before the end of the summer. I had to give the fiber that was a blend of Merino wool and Angora back to my Mother-in-law. I had progressed from getting itchy while handling it to having my sinuses bother me to starting to wheeze a little while working with it. I was really disappointed with having to return it to her because the color really was fantastic and it would have gone perfectly with this shawl that I'm working on.

I have been having an interesting time with my handcrafts. My half hearted shawl from knitted squares makes me think I'll just have a huge pile of washcloths when I get done with this. I'm still not decided on how I'll piece it together or anything else like that. I'm an eighth of the way through my book of patterns. I hate to say this, but I am a little bit bored with knitting right now. If I let it, the boredom may result in this thing not getting done by the end of the summer, as I had initially planned. My crochet socks are working up well. I have one 90% done. The second is almost half finished. Since I am making them with afterthought heels, I am waiting to work on the heel of the first sock until I finish the main part of the second sock. This way, if I have to use different yarn to make the heels, I can do that.

I have been thinking about making snowflakes again. There is that giant snowflake that can be used as a shawl that I have been thinking about making. I have also been thinking about doing one or two from the Snowcatcher blog with worsted weight yarn and large hooks, rather then thread weight and tiny crochet hooks. I keep trying to work up my courage to make lace but I just can't bring myself to do it yet. I am, however, looking at a lot of it and admiring how pretty it is.

No comments: